Saturday, 5 November 2016

Weekly Inspirations



























Film:


Doctor Strange




I saw this a few days ago and it was much better than I thought it would be. I usually have high expectations of Marvel films, but knowing next to nothing about this character, I went with an open mind. This is stunning, go see it for the incredible visual effects alone. Doctor Strange is a funny, rude, stubborn kind of hero and the plot is a little different for a superhero film. I want to see it again!



TV:

Ru Pauls Drag Race



They put all seven seasons on Netflix and ever since I've been binge watching my way through all of them. For those living under a rock, the premise of the show is for drag queens to compete against each other in challenges to win the title of America's next drag super star. Not many shows challenge conventionals norms quite like this one, my favourite part (other than the costumes) is when the queens get personal and reveal the often haunting pasts they have had to deal with, and the struggle of ultimately becoming who they are with no apoligies. A must watch.


Music:



I heard this song on the Show 'Luke Cage' on Netflix and I instantly had to pause the show and look this up on Youtube. The lyrics, the rhythm, the style, everything is on point.



Books


The Island of Doctor Moreau


A friend let me borrow this recently, I don't think I'm the fairest judge of this because I'm not the biggest fan of science fiction, however I did enjoy it. Its a very short read, about a man who is lost at sea and happens upon an island. I can't tell you much more than that without spoiling the whole plot.



Naked Lunch


I was not a fan of this. The 'plot' is really just a series of tiny stories from a lot of dfferent character points of view, mainly about drug use. There's a lot of vulgar language and graphic descriptions. Its a non-linear narrative that makes abosultely no sense, the only reason I read to the end is because some parts are beautifully written, and it takes a lot for me not to finish a book, it was bad, but not that bad.



Helter Skelter






I loved this manga! A friend got this for me a while ago but I lost it somewhere under my bed, so when I had a clear out I found it and immediately started reading. This is about a singer/performer who is what society deems 'perfect' she is the definition of shallow, as the story progresses you see the extremes she's willing to go to, so she can look perfect. The illustrations are beautiful, I already want to read the next one.




No comments:

Post a Comment