Monday, 1 June 2015

Weekly Inspirations





















TV:


Orange is the new Black



I've been watching this for a while but only this month have I really started binge watching it. It's nothing like I thought it would be when I first saw the advert. This show is funny, full of interesting people with interesting problems. The characters are all so different and the story lines for each episode lead on from each other well, not too rushed, not too paced either.

Orange is the new black covers a lot of themes, living as a transgender, sexuality, racism, culture and religion. They play on stereotypes a lot in funny ways, but then challenge them at the same time. The thing I love most about it is that it shows the power of women. Even though the prison is run by men,



Around the web:



Jaclyn Hill



I started watching Jaclyn Hill as a suggestion from Kathleen Lights. This woman really knows her make-up. She owns every brand under the sun and is always trying new things. she's a little nuts but in a very funny way. She's very aware of how different effects and shades work on different skin types/skin tones which I really appreciate. I've been binge watching her favorites videos because honestly anything she recommends, I'm going to go out and buy!





Music:



Lana Del Rey




Lana's on repeat, again. This time with Brooklyn Baby, which I didn't like at first, but the more I listened to it the more in love I fell. Its quaint, thematic, and full of her usual narrative. I'm also playing 'Shades of cool' over and over too.





Film:


Avengers: Age of Ultron




Marvel fans unite, this film was everything I thought it would be and more. There's more backstory - although still shrouded in mystery as ever - to Black widow's character which I really enjoyed, and the action scenes are even better than the first film, if that's possible. I don't even really like action scenes! but somehow in this film they make it interesting for me. I already want to watch it again.






Horns





I'm going to be honest, I only watched this because Daniel Radcliffe is in it and I love him. Having said that, Horns is actually a really good film. Interesting concept, a man going through an emotionally challenging time grows horns, that's all I can really say without ruining the plot but trust me, its a must see. The acting was good, characters well created and the plot although strange and at times a little implausible (I know its fiction but you know what I mean, right?) its still good. To be honest Radcliffe always chooses weird and great films to be in, watch 'Kill your darlings' to see what I mean.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A beginners guide to fitness

I get asked a lot of fitness related questions, how do I find motivation to get in the gym? What exercises are best for weight loss? I...