Wednesday, 11 June 2014

Lemon Drizzle Cake

After making this my older sister said to me "Screw Publishing, you should just open your own bakery" high praise indeed. One of my favorite kinds of cake is lemon drizzle, its sweet, spongy, with a lemony sugar crust, there's nothing not to love about that combination. It's pretty easy to make too, and you know how I love easy.





Ingredients:

225g Butter
225g Caster Sugar
4 eggs
Finely Grated Zest of 1 Lemon
225g Self-Raising Flour


For the Drizzle:

Juice of 1 and a half Lemons
85g Sugar




Firstly we need to preheat the oven to 180, then beat the sugar and butter together until light and creamy.




Then we add the eggs, one at a time, beating it into the mixture with a wooden spoon.





Sift the flour into the mix and stir until the flour is fully incorporated.




You want the zest as fine as possible, I used a grater with four different sizes and picked the smallest one. You can use a fork for this if you prefer.




Then we pour the mixture into a cake tin / loaf tin. If your don't have grease proof paper (I didn't) then butter the tin lightly and sift a little bit of flour over the top, dust the excess off.






Use some form of utensil, like a skewer, to pierce the cake all the way to the bottom of the tin. If it comes out clean, its done. If there is cake mix on it, put it back in the oven. You can cover it with foil while it bakes if you feel its getting a little too brown on top.




Mix the sugar and lemon juice together to make the glaze, pierce the cake several times and pour the glaze on top.




Lemony, sugary goodness, that's what that is.






I like mine with custard, but it tastes just as good without it. Fair warning, the surface of lemons can be a little slippery so don't grate off your thumb like I did! I can't tell you how many times I've done that to myself, I never learn. 

This cake disappeared pretty quickly, which means it must have been pretty good. The left over lemons can be cut and put into a glass of water for drinking, or left in the fridge for a few days to make it smell nice. I'm going to try and include some healthier recipes, having been inspired by some recipes my sisters showed me, probably not for a while though, until then I'll be living up to my blogs name!

2 comments:

  1. oooooh you totally should own a bakery :D that would awesome
    cake looks lovely, definitely want to try it out sometime
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so yummy! Wish I can bake.. I just don't have to ability to follow instructions! haha!

    ReplyDelete