Thursday, 20 February 2014

Banana and apple crumble.

I've been making this for years, its probably the first thing I baked myself that I actually liked/somewhat got right haha. This is no big achievement though because I don't even make the filling, but who has time to be peeling, coring and dicing apples? not me, so I use a tinned version. Also a lot of recipes use 'unsalted butter' but I actually like the slight saltiness that salted butter gives this pudding, if you're trying to watch your sodium use unsalted. I never really stick to one single recipe, but its pretty adaptable so you can omit or add things as to your personal preference.

This recipe will serve four pretty massive portions or six more, I'm-kind-of-slimming-but-want-to-indulge-a-little- portions. I drizzle honey on top right before it goes in the oven so the crumble is crisp and buttery in some places, sweet and chewy in others. This can only be a good thing.


Ingredients:

250g Plain flour

75g sugar

200g butter

1 tin of apple fruit filling

2 medium bananas

Honey

2 teaspoons of cinnamon




Start by preheating your oven to 180c/350f/gas 4
Slice your bananas, mix them in a bowl with the apple filling and the cinnamon and set to one side.





Measure out the flour and butter.






In a different bowl, use your finger tips to rub the butter into the flour until it resembles breadcrumbs, then mix the sugar into it.






Its assembling time! spread your fruit mixture into your baking dish and pour the breadcrumbs on top, making sure it covers all of the fruit. Then drizzle honey on top. Don't go overboard with the honey like I did though!





Bake in the oven for 40 - 45 minutes or until the top is golden brown.









Serve with custard, cream or ice-cream. I chose this vanilla custard which sounded very nice in the description but wasn't actually that good, Morrison's own brand custard is way better.






My Custard to crumble ratio is insane but to each their own right? this is best served right from the oven, I like to pour the custard on cold so that the temperature of everything kind of balances out, but warm up the custard if you like. Don't use as much honey as I did because the places where the honey cooks makes the top go very hard, which makes it a little difficult to break into if you leave the crumble in the fridge, just a light drizzle will do.

Happy baking <3

1 comment:

  1. ooooooh hun, this looks good ^^ i used to love baking, need to get back to it! will definitely try this recipe :)
    x<3

    ReplyDelete

A beginners guide to fitness

I get asked a lot of fitness related questions, how do I find motivation to get in the gym? What exercises are best for weight loss? I...